So i just finished marathoning season’s 8 How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM). I don’t know why, but this sitcom stuck as others came and went. It never fails to lift my mood and somehow, every episode seems to resonate. Maybe it’s because I too have a small group of best friends, and we see our lives somewhat played out in the show.
One of the things I’ve realized from the show, it’s that bros stay for life (yup bros, that’s why lovers should be bros too. not literally but you get my point). You may fight or even drift apart for awhile as everyone gets busy, but at the end of the day, they will be there for you. Why you say? Because they will…
1) Intervene when they need to. More often than not we fail to see ourselves falling into cycles of unhealthy behaviour and it’s our bros who keep us in check.
2) let/make you do stupid things and are still your friends. One of the problems of being so connected is that most of us are constantly keeping up some form of image with others. It’s good to have a bunch of people you can hang loose with.
There are many other life lessons too. Like…
3) everything happens for a reason. When something goes wrong with one of the characters (not only when Ted breaks up), everyone else seem to take on the attitude of “if it’s meant to be, it’ll be.” As much as I’m guilty of holding on to negatives, we should trust life more, because somehow the dots will connect.
4) we shouldn’t “Ted-out (over think); or Ted-up (overreact).” Ted often thinks so much that he overreacts. How often have we done that?
5) stupid can be magical. There are many flashbacks throughout the series and over time, acts of stupidity can become funny and even magical as we talk about the past.
6) how our lives can be “Legeennn…wait for it…. DARRRRyyy” if we are willing. Although Barney borders on cheating himself to feel awesome, our mindsets really make a huge difference to how happy we are.
7) Oh yes and finally… Never, ever, ever do…
the naked man.