So a couple of weeks ago, AirBnB invited me to be a part of their global #OneLessStranger social experiment to make the world a smaller place. The idea is to reduce the number of strangers in the world through one kind, inventive and endearing act at a time. I found the concept of trying to make the world more connected interesting, and so decided to grab Stephanie (@Stooffi) and Jason (@Jshen18) to join this social experiment.
Singapore’s a small city state of almost 5.5million people that’s pretty disconnected physically. Especially in the Central Business District (CBD), we are often so busy and caught up with work that we forget to connect (in person) with each other. So we thought, what better way to bring back some physical touch, and make #OneLessStranger, than to give free hugs in the CBD.
Here’s a short video of what went on!
Things we found out after 2hrs in the CBD:
- It’s ridiculously hot being in a mascot costume. Props to all the mascots out there.
- Everybody just needed a little bit of encouragement to be more friendly. Stephanie’s enthusiasm was contagious!
- There are very nice people out there. Two girls even bought us drinks. If you’re reading this, thank you so much. :D
- It’s nice to hug and be hugged in return. Go hug your loved ones now!
- This entire exercise made us all warm and fuzzy. It doesn’t matter whether people get inspired to join this movement, or even start being kinder and friendlier to others. Doing so ourselves just felt right and good.
Thank you friends, for always being so supportive and encouraging of random nonsense from me. Love you deep deep and many many!